International Institute of Holistic Homoeopathy
PRAGYAN PYRAMID MEDITATION AND HEALING CENTRE
40/2, Rupchand Mukherji Lane,Kolkata 700025,West Bengal,India
Homoeopathy, the safest system for all ages, was founded by the once-vexed German orthodox physician Dr. Samuel Hahnemann, M.D (1755-1843). He was very disappointed with the ways of traditional medical treatment and the results. Not only was the treatment procedure painful, but the symptoms were reappearing with more side effects after some time. He observed that most of his cases would have done better if he had left them alone. Eventually, he stopped his medical practice and started translating medical and chemical works.
In 1790, while translating Cullen's Materia Medica, Dr. Hahnemann discovered the fever producing property of cinchona bark (Quinine) which was used to treat malarial fever. He took Cinchona for some days until he developed Malarial symptoms. Then he labeled a new theory "likes cure likes". (Cinchona can treat people with Malaria because it can produce the Malarial symptoms in a healthy person). Referring to this law of similarity, he coined the word "homeopathy" (homoios in Greek means similar, pathos means suffering). Since then, he started experimenting all the drugs on himself, his family and a small, but growing group, of his followers.
Dr. Hahnemann obtained a description of the drug by administering the one drug to a healthy person. (Homeopathic remedies are tested on humans, not on animals). In his new practice, he found that remedies prescribed by using the new law also produced some side effects. Slowly, he started reducing the quantity of remedies administered to the patient. Then he realized that only remedies in minute dosages would bring the desirable change in health without producing any side effects. He formulated basic guidelines for Homeopathic treatment in his book "Organon and philosophy".
To name just a few, Dr. James Tyler Kent, MD (1849-1910), Dr.Constantine Hering, MD (1800-1880), and Dr. Carrol Dunhum, MD (1828-1877) from USA, Dr. Richard Hughes, MD (1836-1902), and Dr. John Henry Clarke, MD (1853-1931) from UK, Dr. Carl Von Boenninghausen, MD( 1785-1864) from Netherlands, Dr. Rajendra Lal Dutt, MD (1818-1889), Dr. Mahendra Lal Sircar, MD (1833-1904), and Dr. Pratap Muzumdar, MD from India, are some of the other eminent homeopaths who have contributed to Homeopathy with their research, new remedies and books. It is surprising to see that most of these doctors were popular allopaths who became homeopaths after they/their family members were cured through the use of Homeopathy after undergoing agony with their health problems.
Despite the significant oppression from the orthodox medical profession, homeopathy has survived and is gradually growing. Homeopathy has attracted support from many of the most respected members of society including Mahatma Gandhi, William cullen Bryant, the famous journalist, and Britain's Royal family since 1830s. The most significant reason why homeopathy has developed immense popularity is its success in treating the various infectious epidemic diseases that raged throughout America and Europe during the 1800s. Statistics indicate that the death rates in homeopathic hospitals from these epidemics were often one-half to as little as one-eighth of those in orthodox medical hospitals.
Homeopathy is very popular in Europe, Asia (especially in India), Sri Lanka and Pakistan. It is also widely practiced in Brazil, Mexico, Greece, Belgium, Italy, Spain, Australia, South Africa, Nigeria and the Soviet Union.
Health is the state of harmony between the body and mind. Disturbance of harmony results in disease which is expressed in the form of signs and symptoms. In every case of a disease, a person gives two types of symptoms - Common and Uncommon. Common symptoms are those symptoms which are found in most cases of a particular disease, whereas uncommon symptoms reflect the individuality of a patient. This is the basis for the individualizing each patient in homeopathy.
Each organ has no separate existence in the body, i.e. the organs are interdependent. When a particular organ is defective, the chain of harmony is broken and the disease results. In Homeopathy, the patient should be treated as a whole rather than treating each organ separately.
For example, In maxillary sinusitis, the pus in the sinus causes pressure on the gums there by spreading the bacteria and causing gum and tooth infection. In this case, since there is one cause for both the sinusitis and the gum infection (genguitis), the remedy should also be one for both problems.
Cure means removal of signs and symptoms, removal of tendency to get the disease and restoration of complete health. Cure should be brought by individualizing each patient, selecting a remedy by law of similars, and administering a minimum, diluted, potentised dose with no side effects.
The mind and emotions are also considered in treating the patient in homeopathy. At the end of the treatment, not only are the symptoms removed, but the mind also becomes calm and peaceful. Modern medicine has recently started accepting the fact that many diseases (e.g. Migraine, acidity, ulcer, hypertension, and diabetes) are psychosomatic, whereas homeopathy has been considering this to be true for the past 200 years.
To treat disease, the body needs a little stimulus to its own healing process. Administered medicine doesn't have to directly fight the disease, rather, the body should fight the disease there by improving its general resistance and reducing the probability of developing new diseases.
Disclaimer: This page is provided for informational purposes only and doesn't constitute medical advice. Please consult your homeopath and learn how homeopathy works and how it is used before using any remedies that homeopathy offers.
First aid is the administration of emergency assistance to individuals who have been injured. Homeopathic remedies are fast to act in these conditions. In serious conditions, if homeopathic remedies are used in conjunction with conventional first aid procedures, the risk of long-term damage from an injury can be significantly reduced and the healing process can be noticeably enhanced. Learning about first aid homeopathic remedies is very easy for everyone.
Homoeopathic medicines are helpful in preventing infection, pain relief and bleeding control. They act best in burns, nerve pains, fast healing of cuts and for fracture of bones. Homeopathy needs individualization for chronic diseases, but for cuts, burns and fractures, all need a similar stimulus to heal their injury. Homeopathic remedies are very easy to prescribe in general first aid especially in sports injuries. They are usually very effective in reducing the pain of injury and speeding the healing process. As the homeopathic pills are sweet and liked by kids, it's easy to give them.
The following are some of the remedies in Homeopathy that are mostly used in first aid.
Arnica: Most common first aid for all injuries. It helps reduce shock, relieve pain, diminish swelling and begin healing. Arnica is a great remedy for injuries to muscles, and also when there is pain from over exertion. It removes bad effects of shock from injury, prevents septic conditions and works well for mechanical injuries received even years previously.
Arnica is also the best medicine before and after surgery ( before and after dental surgery, labor, etc... ).
Common conditions for use: Shock or trauma of injury, surgical shock, muscle injuries, pains due to over exertion, concussions and contusions. Sore, lame, bruised feeling/pain all over the body as if it has been beaten, before and after surgery.
Dosage and application: Arnica 1M is very useful in head injuries and prevents brain damage. In other injuries, Arnica 30, 5 doses with 15 minutes gap is good. Arnica external applications are also available.
Calendula: Stops bleeding from cuts and injuries inhibits infection and promotes granulation of tissues. It helps heal wounds and burns. Calendula helps healing rapidly, and is not recommended for use in deep cuts as sometimes it can close and heal the outside skin before the tissues underneath are completely healed. It is good for neuritis from lacerated wounds, exhaustion from loss of blood, and excessive pain in injured area.
If used after surgery, it prevents disfiguring scars by proper healing.
Common conditions for use: Cuts, burns, abrasions, and after surgery.
Dosage and application: Calendula 30, three doses with 15 minutes gap is good. Gel, spray and ointments are available for external applications.
Hypericum: Excellent remedy for injuries to nerves (pain along nerve course) or body parts which are richly supplied with nerves (for example, crushed, mashed finger tips or toes, or spinal concussion), and sensitive injured parts with sharp and shooting pains. Hypericum is also good for old injuries to nerves which still seem to bother the person.
Common conditions for use: Injuries to nerves, backaches after surgery with spinal anesthesia, and lacerated injured/inflamed nerves.
Dosage and application: Hypericum 200, three doses with 30 minutes gap. External applications are also available.
Urtica Urens: Helpful in diminishing the pain of burns and in promoting healing.
Common conditions for use: Burns
Dosage and application: One part of Urtica Urens mother tincture with ten parts of water can be applied externally.
Cantharis: Is useful for burns and scalds with rawness and smarting pain which are relieved by cold applications.
Common conditions for use: Burns and scalds.
Dosage and application: External application
Ledumpal: Useful for puncture wounds from sharp pointed instruments like needles or a nails. Ledumpal is also commonly used for insect stings, especially from mosquitoes, and animal bites. It is helpful in healing wounds and preventing tetanus, and relieves localized nerve pains. It is also useful for patients with severe bruising ( black eyes or blows from firm objects), especially if the affected part feels cold yet relieved by cold applications.
Common conditions for use: Puncture wounds, insect bites.
Dosage and application: Three doses of Ledumpal 30 with 15 minutes gap is good.
Rhus Tox: Good for pains from spraining or straining a single part, muscle or tendon. Can also be used for bruises, and lameness after sprains, especially of wrists and ankles. Rhus Tox is ideal for pains which are aggravated by initial motion, but better upon continued motion. It is also given for dislocated joints.
Common conditions for use: Sprains and strains, pains from ruptured ligaments and tendons.
Dosage and application: Three doses of Rhus tox 30 with six hours gap.
Ruta: Good for severe sprains where the person has a torn or wrenched tendon, split ligament or bruised periosteum (bone covering). It can be used for pains due to recent or old injuries to the knee or elbow. It is also good for "Tennis Elbow", and aching in and around the eyes after reading and working on computer.
Common conditions for use: Severe Sprain, injury to the bone
Dosage and Application: Ruta 30, thrice a day for two days.
Symphytum: Useful for fractures. Symphytum relieves pain and promotes rapid healing of fractures. Symphytum favors production of Callus (the osseous material woven between ends of a fractured bone that is ultimately replaced by true bone in the healing process). It relieves the peculiar pricking pain and irritability at the fractured point. This is a great remedy for injuries of the eyeball and around the eyes, and for bones and cheek bone injuries.
Common conditions for use: Fractures, facial injuries.
General Rules: If the pain is severe, more doses may be required. Four times a day for four days or check with your homeopath. It is better to take the remedy on clean mouth.
Homeopathy is a safe and effective system of medicine, which can be used with confidence for treating the whole family. It is simple to use, has no taste or smell and has no side effects. Every home should have a simple, readily accessible first aid box containing sticking plasters, cotton wool and bandages.
The addition of a few homeopathic medicines, available from most high street chemists and health food shops, means you can deal quickly and effectively with any accidents in the home as well as common ailments such as the sudden onset of cold symptoms or exam nerves.
Every accident, whether great or small, is accompanied by some degree of shock. Keeping the person warm is vital.
1) Arnica 30 will also help. It is especially useful when the person pushes help away, insisting that they'll be all right in a minute, but it's also useful for panic. Arnica will help bruises and sprains. It is useful for tired, aching, over-worked muscles after too much gardening or unaccustomed exercise. You can also take Arnica after dental treatment when there is bruising. Whether it is a fall, an accident or surgery, Arnica is the first remedy to think of to reduce bruising and speed up the body's own healing process. Gentle massage with Arnica cream relieves swellings but do not use it if the skin is broken.
2) Calendula tincture made into a lotion (1 teaspoon to a pint of cooled boiled water) should be used to bathe and clean an open wound. It inhibits the proliferation of germs so sepsis will not form in a wound properly cleaned with Calendula. Don't forget to give Arnica internally for shock and bruising while the wound is being cleaned and dressed.
3) Ledum 30 is invaluable for puncture wounds, from nails or barbed wire for instance. It will quickly reduce the shooting and pricking pains.
Use Ledum internally every 4 hours and clean and dress the wound with Calendula. Typically, a wound requiring Ledum feels numb, is cold to the touch but better for cold applications.
Some injuries are especially painful. Nerve-rich tissues such as the spine, fingers and toes will benefit from
4) Hypericum 30. It's the remedy to think of for fingers crushed in a car door, a heavy block falling on toes, or a fall affecting the spine or coccyx. It will also soothe pain in the coccyx after giving birth. Apply Hypericum tincture to bites and stings and wherever there is pain shooting up the limb from the site of a wound.
One of the most common injuries is a sprain - usually the wrist or ankle. Usually the joint remains functional but there will be pain and swelling. Rest is important and a support bandage will help to reduce the swelling. To bandage an ankle, start the bandage under the foot and wind it in a figure of eight pattern around the ankle and back around the foot, overlapping the bandage on each turn. Give Arnica for shock and bruising.
After that give
5) Rhus. Tox 30 - a wonderful remedy for stiffness. Use it also for rheumatism, especially where the joint is stiff to begin with and gradually improves with movement.
Burns and scalds are amongst the most common and the most painful of home injuries. Of course, if the burns are extensive, you will need to take the patient straight to your nearest Accident and Emergency unit, but give Arnica first for the shock. For simple burns that can be treated at home give the patient frequent sips of water to alleviate shock and to prevent fluid loss. Treat first with Arnica 30 (up to 3 doses) for the shock and bathe the burned area of skin with a Calendula lotion (one teaspoon to a pint of boiled water) to soothe the pain. It is useful to keep an Aloe Vera plant in your kitchen for small burns from the iron or oven. The leaves contain a cooling gel, which can be very soothing and healing to burned skin. It also relieves the pain by shutting out the air. Recovery from burns can be assisted by taking extra Vitamin C.
6) Pulsatilla is a great remedy to have in your first aid box: it's useful for the family's coughs and colds, for painful periods and for teething infants. A good clue for prescribing Pulsatilla is that the person can seem a bit weepy or clingy but always feels better for being out in the fresh air. Pulsatilla can help in gastric disturbances especially if the cause is pork, pastry or bad fish or meat. There will be nausea, a bad taste in the mouth and dryness, together with bloating of the stomach and colicky pains. The patient is without thirst, restless and better for having the windows open.
7) Nux Vomica 30 is also a splendid remedy for poor digestion, especially when the cause is over-indulgence. It's a marvellous hangover remedy.
Quick treatment when a cold threatens can save the whole family a great deal of misery.
8) Arsenicum 30 taken in half-hour doses at the very first sign of a cold may abort it altogether. Give Aconite instead (30 hourly for three doses) if the chill is due to waiting around in a cold wind for a late train or a bus. Nux Vomica colds also come on after exposure to cold winds with fluent coryza in the morning and blocked flow at night. The patient will be unable to get warm, irritable and impatient. Give Nux Vomica 30 every two hours. In young children, the early stages of colds or childhood illnesses may be accompanied by a fever for which a parent may think of using Calpol.
9) Belladonna 30 is a good substitute. The patient will be thirsty, the face will be flushed red and there may be a headache of a throbbing kind. Giving water with a little lemon juice to drink and gentle sponging with tepid water will also help to bring down a temperature.
10) Gelsemium 30 is useful for colds or early stages of flu' where the person is chilly with heavy, aching limbs. Keep Gelsemium handy for anticipatory anxiety and stage fright before exams, interviews or driving tests. The nervous Gelsemium patient will be shaking, and having to make frequent trips to the bathroom with diarrhoea and/or frequent urination. For people who lack confidence but usually perform well once they get into their stride.
11) Lycopodium is the remedy. They become nervous before making a speech or making a presentation, even though they do it well when the moment comes. They like sweet things and when they are nervous their desire for chocolate may run away with them, so it's a good thing that Lycopodium is also a good remedy for indigestion with flatulence and irritability.
All remedies should be stored in a clean cool, dry place away from light, heat, electrical interference and strong smells. Do not keep you homeopathic remedies in the same box as aromatherapy oils, for example, or with any strong-smelling substance. Carefully stored, homeopathic remedies will last a long, long time. To give a dose, avoid touching the tablets by tipping a tablet into a spoon and then into the patient's mouth. Let the tablets dissolve slowly under the tongue. Remedies can be taken at any time of day but, ideally, allow a gap of at least 20 minutes away from food, drink or toothpaste. Discontinue treatment when the symptoms have abated and only repeat remedies when and if pain or other symptoms return.
Homeopathy has remedies to treat all sorts of illnesses in the whole family from babyhood to old age. Home prescribing for the family can be very rewarding and usually your local professional Homeopath will be happy to give advice over the telephone if you are not sure which remedy to give but do visit a professional Homeopath when more serious or chronic conditions arise
The potency commonly used in FIRST AID work is the 30 (30 centesimal Hahnemannian).
1. Bumps and Bruises: Take Arnica. Apply Arnica ointment. In any case of accident take or give Arnica, frequent dosage in severe cases, say every 10—15 minutes for 4 doses, less often for lesser severity.
2. Bites and Stings: Take Aconite, Arnica. Apply Anti—bite tincture. Additional remedies, Ledum, Apis, Belladonna. Ledum for reaction to insect bites and stings. Apis more particularly for bee and wasp stings, but also- of value generally, if reaction severe with swelling and itching. Belladonna would be of use for heat and fiery redness with hard swelling and throbbing.
3. Burns, Sunburn: Take Aconite. Apply Urtica ointment. Serious burns must receive medical attention, but Arnica internally will counteract shock.
4. Colds and Chills: Take Aconite. If ‘flu-like, Gelsemiun. If hayfever-like, Arsen Alb. With gastric Symptoms, Nux Vomica. If there is a tendency for chestiness, have Bryonia with you *
5. Cramp, from swimming: Take Aconite for chilliness. Nux Vomica for spasm. Additional remedy, Cuprum Met.
6. Continental Tummy. Digestive Upset: Take Nux Vomica. Additional remedy Colocynth if there is much griping. For food poisoning Arsen Alb. If there is marked lethargy, Baptism.
7. Heatstroke: Take Aconite, Gelsemium if lethargic arid shaking. Additional remedies, Belladonna. Severe headache, Glonoine.
8. Fracture: Take Arnica. Additionally, Symphytun. Apply Arnica ointment.
9. Sprains and Strain. Over Exertion: Take Rhus Tox. Alternate with Arnica if severe
10. Exposure to cold and wet: Take Aconite.
11. Rescued from drowning: Take Aconite and Arnica.
12. Grazes and Guts: Apply Calendula/Hypericum ointment. In any case of accident, shock, bruising, shaken up, use Arnica internally.
13. Jet lag, Travel Sickness: Take Cocculus 30 twice a day for two days before day of flight, during flight and two days after.
Dosages: Follow the general rules for dosage. In First Aid work give doses often, hourly or two-hourly for six doses. In very severe cases every 10-15 minutes until better, usually for 3 - 4 doses
DISCLAIMER: The information provided is for educational purposes only. It is not meant to diagnose or treat any health condition and is not a replacement for treatment by a healthcare provider.